[mythtv-users] No More Free DTAs From Comcast

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 12 23:52:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 03:44:37PM -0700, Karl Newman wrote:
> Wait, you're able to use a HDHR Prime with a CableCard on Comcast WITHOUT
> the $10 "HD Programming Fee"? That was one of the big reasons I had been
> holding off on getting a Prime, because I thought a CableCard would
> automatically force the HD fee (even though I don't own an HDTV). Anyone
> else have the same experience with Comcast?

My experience: I got "second cablecard in a device" charge
for $1.50 until I called up customer service and cited this page:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/

The $10 question is whether I'll still have HD local channels on my
limited basic plan when Comcast starts encrypting around October 13.
Thanks, Daryl and Gary, for the pointers to DIY OTA antennnas.  I
may try one of those, not just to cover my bases, but because
they look like fun and easy projects.

Romain Kang                             Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain at kzsu.stanford.edu                except when indicated otherwise.