[mythtv-users] No More Free DTAs From Comcast

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Thu Sep 12 22:44:37 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 9/10/2013 10:20 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:44 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So has anyone seen one of these beasts? Model numbers? Descriptions?
>>>
>> The Arris model is HD-DTA100u, the Cisco model is DTA HD170, the
>> Pace model is the DC60Xu.  I suspect they are all using the same
>> Broadcom chip (the BCM 7572?).
>>
>>  I've got to turn back in one of my old "free" DTAs I wasn't using. I'm
>>> still
>>> using the other. I'll ask if they know anything about this mythical
>>> unicorn.
>>>
>> The quality of the CSRs vary, from extremely competent and
>> knowledgeable to <something significantly less>.  Until the
>> SF Bay Area is scheduled to convert, Comcast may not have
>> provided the training for any particular CSR to answer the questions
>> (although you might get lucky).
>>

> I turned in my unused DTA this afternoon. They do have the HD-DTAs here in
> Concord/Martinez, east of San Francisco. Unfortunately, if I take one, it
> will add on the "HD Programming Fee" of $10 which my current setup is
> avoiding. So, no HD-DTA for me.
>
> The good news is that I confirmed that a second CableCard is only $1.10 a
> month. So I see a second HDHR Prime in my very near future.

Wait, you're able to use a HDHR Prime with a CableCard on Comcast WITHOUT
the $10 "HD Programming Fee"? That was one of the big reasons I had been
holding off on getting a Prime, because I thought a CableCard would
automatically force the HD fee (even though I don't own an HDTV). Anyone
else have the same experience with Comcast?

Karl