[mythtv-users] Help with Conversion from Mac OS X to Mythbuntu

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Thu Sep 12 20:04:10 UTC 2013

At 2:35 PM -0500 9/12/13, Jamie Midgley wrote:
>... now I would like access to myth plugins, the ability to keep up
>and try new releases, usage of HD Audio tracks and a desire to
>absolve myself from Windows and OS X entrapment.
>
>I am using a Silicon Dust HDHR Dual for OTA broadcasts.
>
>I apologize for the long post but my previous effort to install myth
>literally took me months with many late nights and my wife was not
>too happy for the amount of time I spent on it.  I just would like
>to move past .25 to .27 and figured going to linux would enable
>easier transitions in the future.

Hi:

I maintain the Myth packages on MacPorts.  Sorry you had so much
trouble installing it.  The macports-users mailing list might have
been able to smooth some of the bumps.

You do know there is a mythtv-core.26 package available, right?  A
few users are having problems with 10.8.4 but we just found a
workaround for that.  Now that I've gotten past my own hardware
problems, it is working very well for me.

I've done a few test builds of 0.27 but haven't had time to work on
it lately.  The recent change to allow disabling mythlogserver looks
very promising.  Trying to handle it cleanly on 0.26 had me
scratching my head for several months.

I'm curious which of the plugins you are interested in?  You're the
first OS X user to express any interest.  I've never been able to get
MythBrowser / MythNetvision to work properly...but I have not put
much time into them, either.

Sorry, I can't help with your Linux transition plans.  I suspect the
easiest solution would be to buy another 3 TB drive.  Use one
computer as a server and connect the other as a client then transfer,
maybe?

Craig