[mythtv-users] BE errors

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 18:59:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/2013 01:19 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>
>> 2013-09-12 14:15:35.952879 E  Failed listening on TCP 127.0.0.1:6544 -
>> Error 8: The bound address is already in use
>

> That error is a signature of the backend being started twice.
>
> Lately you've been mentioning that you started your backend
> by typing:
>
>     /usr/bin/mythbackend.
>
> That's not the proper *buntu way to start it. Plus, are
> you sure that the backend isn't already running?
>
> To start the backend from the command line, type:
>
>     sudo start mythtv-backend
>
> To see what that actually does, look at the file
> /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf.
>
> To stop:
>
>     sudo stop mythtv-backend
>
> To see if it's already running type:
>
>     status mythtv-backend
>
> Or, even better, because you've started the backend
> outside of the correct method:
>
>     ps ax | grep mythbackend | grep -v grep
>
> --
> Bill

Ok here is the result of the last command:

daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$  ps ax | grep mythbackend | grep -v grep
 2986 ?        Ssl    0:05 /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --user mythtv
 3133 pts/3    Sl+    0:03 /usr/bin/mythbackend
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$

and the status command now shows it is "start/running"

The "/usr/bin/mythbackend" command has been showing the errors I've
been trying to address recently, but you're right I was attempting to
use it to start the BE, pointers much appreciated. So now do I need to
keep looking at and addressing those errors? Scheduled recordings have
been hit and miss at best lately. Sometimes instead of recording it is
"tuning", and I am concerned about the status of my
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 card, it seems there is a failure to open
it?

Daryl