[mythtv-users] Thank You AND follow up question re the "cd" command... Re: (Presumed) Firmware problem with Hauppage HVR-2250

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Sep 12 18:04:58 UTC 2013

On 12/09/13 18:27, Leif Pihl wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2013, at 11:38 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
>>> Follow up question:
>>
>> First, please learn how to bottom/inline post.
>>
>>> Could any of you pose a guess as to why my friend advised me to do use the command:
>>>    cd /usr/local/lib/firmware
>>> instead of
>>>    cd /lib/firmware
>>
>> You need better friends? :-)  More seriously, the divergent history
>> of Unix(tm) variants means that various implementations used
>> different directories to store/find the equivalent files.  Where
>> the firmware goes for any particular distribution can only be
>> determined by reading the documentation and/or source.
>> I believe that (at least some variants of) debian
>

> DING! DING! DING!
> He could be described as an advocate for Debian.
> That may be it right there.

Bong! I recommended /lib/firmware and I'm using Debian.

Any firmware file is by definition a /system/ file, since it has to be loaded
into the peripheral by the device driver. Files under places like /usr or
/usr/local tend to be what they imply - files relevant to the user, not the system.

Again, as somebody above mentioned, different OSs have different rules, but that
path immediately rang alarm bells with me. Debian is happy with files under
/lib/firmware, and if you install firmware files from their repos that is where
they will go.

--

Mike Perkins