[mythtv-users] rc_keymaps and non US

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 10 22:54:24 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 04:35 PM, mythtv-free wrote:
> Le 10/09/2013 21:56, Michael T. Dean a écrit :

>>> There isn't a code for<   (nor for>).  You'll need to change your
>>> keymap file to use a different code.  Look in
>>> /usr/include/linux/input.h for the allowed codes.  Note you'll need to
>>> use a code with value<= 255 *and* is recognized by Qt.  Yes, it's a
>>> mess.
>> Or use LIRC and have a single configuration that doesn't require your
>> changing default keymappings in any of your applications (and can
>> easily be moved from host to host or install to install or ...).  :)
>> Yes, I realize that setting up LIRC is a bit of a challenge compared
>> to using a remote control as if it were a keyboard, but then again, if
>> people here didn't recognize the value of putting in some work to reap
>> great benefits, they wouldn't be here/wouldn't be running MythTV in
>> the first place.
> not sure using LIRC is less work than using kernel driver. I want to
> keep my mythbox as simple as possible. If there is a possibility to
> reduce the number of software running, I try this.

I'm saying using LIRC is more work, but gives you a lot of benefits
because it's /designed/ for use with remote controls (and the way remote
controls can be used with computers).  In other words a remote control
is /not/ just some stupid keyboard--it's much more useful than one if
properly configured with a good application to manage it.

Mike