[mythtv-users] rc_keymaps and non US

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 10 19:56:33 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 01:51 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 07:17:51PM +0200, mythtv-free wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am using 0.26 with infrared remote, and without LIRC. I use a keymap
>> file in /etc/rc_keymaps.
>> It works fine for most of the key, but I have a problem with
>> fastforward. On US keyboard, it is "KEY_DOT", but on azerty keyboard, it
>> is "<" (LESS THAN)
>> It cant find how to write it in keymaps file.
>> I have tried:
>> KEY_<
>> KEY_LESST
>>
>> no success.
>>
>> If somebody knows the code, it will helps me a lot!
> There isn't a code for<  (nor for>).  You'll need to change your
> keymap file to use a different code.  Look in
> /usr/include/linux/input.h for the allowed codes.  Note you'll need to
> use a code with value<= 255 *and* is recognized by Qt.  Yes, it's a
> mess.

Or use LIRC and have a single configuration that doesn't require your
changing default keymappings in any of your applications (and can easily
be moved from host to host or install to install or ...).  :)  Yes, I
realize that setting up LIRC is a bit of a challenge compared to using a
remote control as if it were a keyboard, but then again, if people here
didn't recognize the value of putting in some work to reap great
benefits, they wouldn't be here/wouldn't be running MythTV in the first
place.

Mike