[mythtv-users] Fwd: Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 10 14:39:45 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 10:31 AM, Captain Hook wrote:
> I had pixelation again in some recordings so I started attempting to
> catch it when it was happening with Live TV.  It was pretty prominent
> on ESPN HD, which I rarely watch. I noticed that this channel had a
> signal strength of +5.86dBmV, at least at that time, so it appears
> that my signal from Comcast is not constant at all.  Generally I was
> seeing 0-2dBmV last time I checked, and compare that with the
> approximately -3.5dBmV I was seeing at the beginning of this thread.
> I am also seeing something strange; Myth was showing me 37% signal
> strength in the menu that fades away when you first turn to the
> channel, but the HDHR Prime Config GUI was showing 100%?  Is this
> common?  Unfortunately I seem to only be able to view the "signal
> strength" in MythTV when I change the channel and am not able to bring
> it up manually, which I think is by design, based on a quick Google
> search.

There's a signal monitor.  Bring it up using TV Playback/SIGNALMON (by
default Alt-F7).

However, the meaning of the value displayed is only useful for comparing
a card (or at least cards using the exact same kernel driver) with
itself.  This may explain why the value you see in MythTV is different
from what you see in the HDHR Prime config GUI.  (AIUI, there's no
standard for the values returned by the API, nor the meaningful range of
those values.)

Mike