[mythtv-users] Upgrade Mythbuntu 10.04 / Intel E8500 C2D / 0.25 to Mythbuntu 12.04 / Intel i7-3770K / 0.27

Yann Lehmann aristide at vtxmail.ch
Tue Sep 10 06:35:09 UTC 2013

Am 10.09.2013 03:39, schrieb tortise:

> I am uncertain about how to ensure the old drives are correctly
> referenced, or does it matter so long as the boot drive is booted?

You can mount them to the same mount points than on your actual system,
and every thing will be fine (see your actual '/etc/fstab/ file to see
where they get mounted now).

> Any expected issue with the Tuner cards? Should not matter as best as I
> can see as they are the same so should work either way.

If the driver for the cards are in newer kernels, it should be ok.

> Plan is to restore 0.25 to the new machine (with same host name) and
> once working to some reasonable extent to upgrade to 0.27.

You should also move your actual SSD-drive to the new system, and do a
parallel install to the new SSD-drive. A fresh Mythbuntu install will
find the "old one" and propose you to put it in your grub menu, allowing
dual-boot (other distros may do it as well). This way, you can start
your old backend when you need it and test the new install. It is also
convenient for copying config files from the old to the new system, e.
g. your mythtv database.

Yann