[mythtv-users] Upgrade Mythbuntu 10.04 / Intel E8500 C2D / 0.25 to Mythbuntu 12.04 / Intel i7-3770K / 0.27

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Sep 10 01:39:20 UTC 2013

Hi
I am upgrading a backend motherboard (Gigabyte GA-EP41-UD3L rev 1.0)
with 4 SATA ports out to a new one with 7 internal SATA ports (Gigabyte
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 4x6G and 3x3G SATA).  New SATA DVD is required for one
3G port.

Existing 10.04 has a small SSD for OS and 3 SATA HDD for recordings and
two PCI NOVA-TD-500 dual tuners.

Plan is to migrate the 3 storage HDDs and PCI Tuner cards to new
motherboard with new OS SDD.

Two HDD are 2T / 3G SATA rated and the third is a 3T / 6G SATA, which
suggests where each might be connected respectively.

I am uncertain about how to ensure the old drives are correctly
referenced, or does it matter so long as the boot drive is booted?

Any expected issue with the Tuner cards? Should not matter as best as I
can see as they are the same so should work either way.

I am expecting to dump the NVIDIA card as the backend is seldom used for
frontend duties beyond testing so I think the Intel 4000 should be fine
for this and overall save some power(!)

Plan is to restore 0.25 to the new machine (with same host name) and
once working to some reasonable extent to upgrade to 0.27.

Again, many thanks in advance.

SATA Plan for New System:

6G SATA Port 1 <= New 6G SATA SSD for new 12.04 OS
6G SATA Port 2 <= Existing 3T 6G SATA HDD (repo2)
6G SATA Port 3 <= Future expansion capacity?
6G SATA Port 4 <= Future expansion capacity?

3G SATA Port 5 <= Existing 2T 3G SATA HDD (repo)
3G SATA Port 6 <= Existing 2T 3G SATA HDD (repo1)
3G SATA Port 7 <= New DVD