[mythtv-users] Turn on my TV via HDMI when MythTV starts

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Sep 9 14:02:02 UTC 2013

On 9/8/13 6:46 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 9/8/2013 6:07 PM, Monkey Pet wrote:
>> Hi all, I have a mac mini mythfrontend running ubuntu.  I was wondering
>> if when mac mini is powered on, it can turn on my TV and switch the TV's
>> input automatically using the HDMI link?  I have seen my bluray player
>> on this.  When my bluray is switched on, it automatically turns my TV
>> on, then switches the input magically.  Can something in Linux be used
>> to do this also?
> This requires CEC, and so far, there are very few options for speaking
> CEC protocol within Linux. If typical graphics cards even support that
> wire, there's nothing programmed for it in the Linux drivers.
>
> Take a look at...
> http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx
You should also be aware that not all TVs are created equal where CEC is
concerned. The pulse-eight forums (http://forums.pulse-eight.com) are
very helpful in this regard.

My LG, for instance will quite nicely turn on when told to, but its
implementation of CEC (called Simplink) doesn't obey any instructions to
turn off. Instead, I use an RS-232 connection to send the instruction.