[mythtv-users] the right way to force preference of a channel

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 9 11:48:05 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 06:11 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> We hear time and again about the wrong way to force a channel to be
> preferred over another so I want to ask what is the right way?
>
> I have more than had my fill of CBS not being able to keep a schedule
> on Sundays.  If they want to have their cake (program sports) and eat
> it too (and not put a throwaway program on before 60 minutes) then
> they have lost my eyeballs.
>
> Many times, on a Sunday evening, there are other non-US-network
> channels showing the same programs as CBS with the exception that they
> actually show them on schedule.  So every week I have (to remember) to
> go through the upcoming recordings and force those programs onto their
> better channels since as luck would have it, they *always* get
> scheduled on CBS.  But of course, this is a menial task (which means I
> often forget) that a computer should be doing for me.
>
> So, is setting a channel preference the right way to achieve this goal
> or not?  If not, what is the preferred method?

Upgrade to 0.27 and set channel priority (assuming you want this
priority for all shows, not just Sunday-night shows).  In 0.27, input
and channel priorities work the way people thought it worked.

If you want it just for the Sunday shows, you'll have to modify
individual recording rules to use something like the "this channel"
filter or create custom rules to exclude CBS.  Alternatively, create a
"not CBS" rule (as mentioned before) and then find an episode of the
show airing on CBS and create a new rule for it with a lower priority.
That way, MythTV will attempt to record on the other channel(s), but if
that's not possible, it will fall back to recording on CBS.  If you make
the CBS rule a "this channel" rule, you can even specify an approriate
(or excessive?) end late value.

Mike