[mythtv-users] the right way to force preference of a channel

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Sep 9 10:11:51 UTC 2013

We hear time and again about the wrong way to force a channel to be
preferred over another so I want to ask what is the right way?

I have more than had my fill of CBS not being able to keep a schedule on
Sundays.  If they want to have their cake (program sports) and eat it
too (and not put a throwaway program on before 60 minutes) then they
have lost my eyeballs.

Many times, on a Sunday evening, there are other non-US-network channels
showing the same programs as CBS with the exception that they actually
show them on schedule.  So every week I have (to remember) to go through
the upcoming recordings and force those programs onto their better
channels since as luck would have it, they *always* get scheduled on
CBS.  But of course, this is a menial task (which means I often forget)
that a computer should be doing for me.

So, is setting a channel preference the right way to achieve this goal
or not?  If not, what is the preferred method?

Cheers,
b.