[mythtv-users] (off topic a bit) 2 input HDHomeRun vs 1 input HDHomeRun Dual

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Sep 9 05:57:04 UTC 2013

>> Does anyone know if Silicon Dust upgraded the tuner when the switched from
>> the 2 input model to the single input dual?
>> I was watching the Americas cup today, and noticed that while my
>> Centronics ZAT 502HD was able to tune NBC with no dropouts, the
>> HDHomeRun was getting zero signal quality tuned to the same station
>> connected to the same antenna with the same signal strength.
>> Even though I have a direct line of site to the transmitter, it is over
>> San Francisco bay, and on hot days the signal spectrum
>> gets badly distorted (exactly like multi-path).
>> I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade my old HDHomeRun tuners.
>> Do the new ones handle multi-path any better?
>

> This can also be a sign of the power supply (wall wart) going out.  My Gen 1
> HDHR started acting up with tuning problems and greatly fluctuating signal
> and quality.  I pulled opened up the wall adapter and found several swelling
> capacitors.  I swapped them out and it's been fine ever since.

Or, even easier, just contact Silicon Dust... they issued replacement
wall warts for the Gen 1 due to known issues.  And I had the exact
same issue with strong signal, but no quality.  I think as it goes bad
it has a problem with powerline noise, or something, and perhaps you
see the problem on hot days due to air conditioners causing noise on
the power lines, or something like that.

Either way, I would contact SiliconDust and see if they are still
offering replacements... it may fix your problem... it may not.