[mythtv-users] (off topic a bit) 2 input HDHomeRun vs 1 input HDHomeRun Dual

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 00:11:23 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Douglas Peale
<Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know if Silicon Dust upgraded the tuner when the switched from the 2 input model to the single input dual?

Caveat, I have never owned one of the originals (and I only have
used the newer dual for some test scenrios).  The claim (at the time
the new product was offered) was that it was improved.  How much
improved is not exactly defined.

> I'm wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade my old HDHomeRun tuners. Do the new ones handle multi-path any better?

While in the digital realm multipath is usually not as much of a
problem as in analogue (in digital, the strongest signal "wins"),
if you have consistent issues with multipath, you might want to
consider directing your antenna slightly off the direct path to
degrade the bounced signal, and/or sometimes a pad (attenuator)
to reduce one of the signals.  Alternatively, just use a Prime
(since you appear to be a Comcast customer) and you can
ignore all those issues (yes, Comcast has historically transcoded
KNTV's signal, but I suspect few can notice the difference).

Gary