[mythtv-users] PVR-500 still kicking!

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 13:05:16 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 1:39 AM, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:

> Consider this a cautionary tale. I'm using a Hauppauge PVR-500 (dual
> tuner, analog, PCI). It's original from my first myth box (~7 years ago).
> About 3-4 months ago we suddenly lost the second tuner, connected to a
> Comcast PACE 50X DTA--everything was recording as static. I assumed that
> given the age of the tuner card, I had bad capacitors which killed the
> second tuner. I haven't had time to open up the system to take a close look
> at the card, but fortunately with it being summer, we haven't had many
> conflicts now that I was down to one tuner. Well, tonight I finally got
> some time to look into it, and one of the first things I noticed once I
> started poking around was that the green power LED on the DTA was not lit.
> I did some swapping with the DTA from the bedroom and finally discovered
> the power supply on the DTA had gone bad (doh!). So, I'm back to 2 tuners
> again, just in time for the fall TV season. Woo!
>
> Now to see if Comcast still has any power supplies for that DTA any more...

I am still using a PVR500 that is also a good 7 years old - I have not had
to replace the capacitors yet. Like you I am recording from a Comcast DTA
with the PVR500. Although a month or two ago I finally got a cable card for
my HDHR Prime (that I had for a year and was using for unencrypted only) so
with that the PVR500 is only recording for the wife in a redundant role
(the HDHR prime records the same show at the same time).

John