[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime does _NOT_ do US OTA, what does?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sat Sep 7 01:35:13 UTC 2013

> For a device that is advertised to support watching TV to not
> support OTA is approximately the equivalent of an automobile
> without windshield wipers.  In many climates, windshield wipers
> aren't needed more than 20% of the time, the percentage of TV
> viewers who use OTA.  When I talk with a car seller, I don't
> expect to have to ask whether the car comes with windshield
> wipers, valve covers, a radiator, or head gaskets.

Absolutelly TERRIBLE analogy. You might only use your wipers 20% of the
time, but essentially 100% of people use their wipers on a somewhat regular
basis. Are you suggesting that 100% of people unplug their tuner card from
their cable and hook it up to their antenna once a week? Even if we take
your made up 20% number as fact (I have no idea what it really would be),
it would be 20% that need OTA, and 80% that never need OTA. If a feature
isn't used at all by 80% of the market, that makes it pretty hard to argue
that they left out an essential feature. Instead of windshield wipers, I
think a more appropriate analogy would be you assuming that every car has a
3000 lbs towing capacity.

What there is is a 'Learn More' button, which appears redundant
> if one has already read the first product page and flyer.  That
> button goes to a page,
>
>     http://www.hdhomerun.com/products/models/hdhr3-cc/
>
> that _does_ have the quoted statement, but _not_ in the first two
> pages of bullet points.  The statement is buried below a nearly-
> full-page fluff picture.  To be any more buried, it would have to
> be white text on a white background.

You may be correct on that one...if you COMPLETELY overlook the fact that
right after the 6th bullet point is the 2nd section that states:

TV Source:

US digital cable TV

How does having digital cable as your ONLY listed source even imply that
you can use OTA broadcast as your source? Then under specifications, it
again list cable but nothing about OTA. Then under requirements, it lists:

   - Subscription to digital cable service
   - CableCARD (M-Card) from your cable provider

So I guess that page only appears redundant if you don't actually read it.

--
Ron Frazier