[mythtv-users] Python Bindings - Snooping MythTV System Events

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 07:09:16 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I have been looking at MythTV System Events (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_System_Events ) since I would like to
monitor what is happening and where in my mythtv environment (i.e., which
FEs are playing what recordings, where do recordings get deleted, etc).

I realise I could configure each of the event handlers in mythTV backend to
perform an action (i.e. log the event) but I was hoping I could just use
the python bindings to write a script which snoops for such events and them
performs an action (i.e. log the event).

The benefit here is that I leave the actual event handlers free to
configure in the future should I need to use them locally for that FE.
Another benefit is that I can configure many actions to perform for
specific events.  And I also get to play with the bindings. :)

I didn't get very far with the Python bindings though.  I could make it so
I saw all internal system events which was way more than I needed.

Has anyone here tried to do anything similar?  Any pointers on what I
should be looking at?  Is the dev list a better audience for this question?

I am currently running 0.26-fixes.

Thanks,
Whytey