[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 20:48:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/04/2013 02:32 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>
>> I think I need to make one more correction, I backspaced the ".tmp" suffix
>>
>> off the file name, hit enter and was asked if I wanted to overwrite the
>> existing file, and remembering the other directory, different location, I
>> chose no and saved it as mythtv.3, see terminal output:
>> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo cat /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv.3
>> %mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh
>> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo cat /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv
>> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$
>> If necessary, do I use a "sudo mv" command to rename it? Or can I
>> reference
>> it as named?
>>

> First, I'd type:
>
>     ls -l /etc/sudoers.d
>
> to see if any other files crept in there. I believe you started with
> none (other than README.) So, check first.
>
> Based on Karl's reply and yours, you already have the proper
> name, but it has nothing in it.
>
> You should end up with just the README and the new file. The output
> should look like this for the mythtv file:
>
>     -r--r-----   1 root root   380 Mar 29 15:21 mythtv
>
> in other words, owned by user and group root. And read only
> by them. Obviously the number of characters and timestame
> will be different from mine.
>
> So remove the mythtv.3 file and use visudo to correct the
> real one.
>

> --
> Bill

Well I think I have it, and it probably interests me more than you, but I'm
posting it anyway:

daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ ls -l /etc/sudoers.d
total 8
-r--r----- 1 root root   0 Sep  4 12:51 mythtv
-r--r----- 1 root root 752 Sep  4 12:14 README
-r--r----- 1 root root 814 Aug 31 11:30 README~
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo visudo -f /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv
visudo: /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv.tmp unchanged
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo cat /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv
%mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$

The level of accomplishment that a student achieves is a direct reflection
of the quality of his teachers. Thanks to Bill, Karl, Stefan, Roger, Chris,
Yann, and the entire list,

Daryl