[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 19:32:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/04/2013 01:13 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>
>> I am following, all the way. I removed from the README ; pasted your
>>
>> command into the terminal, used ctrl+x to which it asked if I wanted to
>> save ; to which I typed Y ; and now I have this screen:
>>    GNU nano 2.2.6         File: /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv.tmp
>>   Modified
>>
>> %mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh

>  File Name to Write: /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv.tmp
>>
>> ^G Get Help         M-D DOS Format      M-A Append          M-B Backup
>> File
>> ^C Cancel           M-M Mac Format      M-P Prepend
>>
>> and I have no idea where to go from here
>>

> When that editor presents you with a file, it automatically appends
> the ".tmp" portion. Just remove it - probably backspacing.  If you're
> uncomfortable, just try editing a file such as /tmp/justTesting, save
> it and edit it again. When you're comfortable, apply your new knowledge
> to /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv.
>

>  I have done little tests; setting a recording in the near future, then
>> logging out or shutting down, and upon these failures I have deemed it not
>> working. Am I not giving it enough time to react? Which should I use
>> shutting down or logging out?  Which command?
>>

> Remember that there is an option to prevent idle shutdown if a recording is
> coming up. I don't know what value you chose.
>
> Make sure your "setting a recording in the near future" is greater than
> that
> value. I use 10 minutes, but it's completely up to you.
>
> Logging out, may work. Shutting down will absolutely *not* work. In order
> for scheduled wakeup to work, you must let the backend set the clock and
> shutdown your host.
>
> And, don't forget, you can look in your backend's log file for clues. As
> well as using the mythshutdown -c command discussed earlier.
>
> You're getting very close to a working solution.
>

> --
> Bill

I think I need to make one more correction, I backspaced the ".tmp" suffix
off the file name, hit enter and was asked if I wanted to overwrite the
existing file, and remembering the other directory, different location, I
chose no and saved it as mythtv.3, see terminal output:
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo cat /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv.3
%mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo cat /etc/sudoers.d/mythtv
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$
If necessary, do I use a "sudo mv" command to rename it? Or can I reference
it as named?

Yes, I feel close, big time kudos to you Sir, Daryl