[mythtv-users] clearing out old, non-existent videos

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 18:34:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 09/04/2013 01:54 PM, lists.md301 wrote:
>

>> I've been wondering about how the Video Library would behave in such a
>> case for a while now.  Specifically, if I had a slave backend (or rather
>> whatever the alternate module is called  on can play content without a
>> capture card)
>>

> Technically that should be a mythmediaserver (i.e. it should run the
> mythmediaserver application and not mythbackend) since tunerless backends
> aren't supported.
>

>  on a NAS, that had some infrequently accessed videos.  I wasn't sure if
>> I'd lose metadata entries for 'absent' video files if the NAS machine was
>> off on a rescan.  If I understand you correctly, those entries would NOT be
>> deleted, unless the NAS on up (with the myth daemon running) and the video
>> files were missing from the slave's valid storage group.
>>

> Correct.
>

>  I may modify my setup to start doing this.  I'm pretty much maxed out in
>> physical disk space (bays and SATA slots) and this would an elegent way of
>> handling it.
>>

> I do recommend using mythmediaserver, though.  It will be much lower
> resource than mythbackend would be and doesn't require your creating fake
> tuners (that will slow down scheduling and serve no useful purpose and
> require extra work and ...).
>
> Mike

Thanks for confirming all that--I was thinking of mythmediaserver, but the
name just slipped my mind mid-email, and I was too impatient to look it up.

My only personal complication will be having "compatible" revisions of
mythtv:  My dedicated machines are on Gentoo, and my NAS is an out-of-date
Ubuntu Server (which I use headless).  Understanding the prerequisites, I
would need to update Ubuntu and then get an X server installed (not
complaining about that, it is what it is).  It might just be easier for me
to put Gentoo on it to match my other machines (would help make the
uid/gid's identical, which they aren't now), allowing further Portage
binary sharing too.  I'll likely be doing a new Gentoo stage 3 tarball root
partition anyway on other machines for 0.27 (haven't kept current with
Portage, that's just easier than dependency hell).  Just thinking out
loud...