[mythtv-users] clearing out old, non-existent videos

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 4 18:19:35 UTC 2013

On 09/04/2013 01:54 PM, lists.md301 wrote:

> I've been wondering about how the Video Library would behave in such a
> case for a while now.  Specifically, if I had a slave backend (or
> rather whatever the alternate module is called  on can play content
> without a capture card)

Technically that should be a mythmediaserver (i.e. it should run the
mythmediaserver application and not mythbackend) since tunerless
backends aren't supported.

> on a NAS, that had some infrequently accessed videos.  I wasn't sure
> if I'd lose metadata entries for 'absent' video files if the NAS
> machine was off on a rescan.  If I understand you correctly, those
> entries would NOT be deleted, unless the NAS on up (with the myth
> daemon running) and the video files were missing from the slave's
> valid storage group.

Correct.

> I may modify my setup to start doing this.  I'm pretty much maxed out
> in physical disk space (bays and SATA slots) and this would an elegent
> way of handling it.

I do recommend using mythmediaserver, though.  It will be much lower
resource than mythbackend would be and doesn't require your creating
fake tuners (that will slow down scheduling and serve no useful purpose
and require extra work and ...).

Mike