[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 14:33:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/03/2013 06:38 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>
>>> Ignore the previous paste bin it is some 61000 lines long and only goes
>>>
>>> until Aug 12th. Try this one instead:  http://paste.ubuntu.com/**
>>> 6060751/ <http://paste.ubuntu.com/6060751/>
>>>

>> Much better. If you look at line 11904, you'll see the backend starting a
>> new run. The line just prior shows the backend stopping.
>>
>> In this case, you only need the last run.
>>
>> Now, look at line 12023. At 19:00 your time, the backend started recording
>> something. So, there can't be an idle shutdown.
>>
>> Type and then look at the output of this command:
>>
>>     mythshutdown -c
>>
>> It should tell you if it's OK to shutdown. If it says it's OK, then
>> look at your backend logs or pastebin them if you like.
>>
>> It won't tell you if mythfrontend is running. So be sure to exit that
>> before testing idle shutdown. [as Chris said earlier the frontend can
>> be set to timeout, but I think the default is 90 minutes, so it's just
>> easier to be sure it's not running]
>>
>> For the purposes of these tests, if you restart or power down your system,
>> be sure to type:   mythbackend --setverbose idle,system   again to get the
>> proper logging.
>>

>> --
>> Bill
>>
> Here is a current backend.log:  " http://paste.ubuntu.com/6061330/"
>
> Daryl

something else just occurred to me, in an attempt to satisfy the following
suggestion from the Wiki:  " You should check to make sure the user as whom
mythbackend runs is able to run sudo without prompting for a password.
Consult the documentation for sudo on how to set this up in the sudoers
file, in particular the NOPASSWD tag. For example, you could add the
following line to your /etc/sudoers by running "sudo visudo" and pasting
the line at the end of the file." without actually checking the user
permission (newbie inability showing) I simply stuck the line "%mythtv ALL
= NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh" at the eend of my
sudoers.d file. So that it now looks like this:

daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo cat /etc/sudoers.d/README
[sudo] password for daryl:
#
# As of Debian version 1.7.2p1-1, the default /etc/sudoers file created on
# installation of the package now includes the directive:
#
# #includedir /etc/sudoers.d
#
# This will cause sudo to read and parse any files in the /etc/sudoers.d
# directory that do not end in '~' or contain a '.' character.
#
# Note that there must be at least one file in the sudoers.d directory (this
# one will do), and all files in this directory should be mode 0440.
#
# Note also, that because sudoers contents can vary widely, no attempt is
# made to add this directive to existing sudoers files on upgrade.  Feel
free
# to add the above directive to the end of your /etc/sudoers file to enable
# this functionality for existing installations if you wish!
#%mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown, /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$

Should this have been done?

Daryl