[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Stefan Pappalardo sjuk at gmx.de
Sun Sep 1 15:51:47 UTC 2013

Hi Daryl, here you are.

Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
BIOS RTC (real time clock) is set to UTC (not set to localtime)

The machine is backend and frontend.
Mythshutdown is controlled by mythwelcome.

Power Management Setup
---------------------------------------
ACPI Suspend Type: S3 (STR)
HPET-Support: Disabled
Power-On by Alarm: Disabled
ErP Support: Disabled

Hints
-------
1: With HPET-Support and ErP Support enabled all seemed to work fine,
but the system never waked up.
2: Setting a fixed Power-On by Alarm time can get into conflict with the
time mythtv sets. In my case it only works when I disable it in BIOS.
3: I can only choose between S1 (Power on Suspend) and S3 (Suspend to
RAM) in BIOS. But I always use S5 (Soft Off).

Kernel
---------
sjuk at obelix:~$ uname -r
3.2.0-52-generic

sjuk at obelix:~$ sudo grep -i rtc /var/log/dmesg
[    0.157612] RTC time: 14:28:52, date: 09/01/13
[    1.592355] rtc_cmos 00:04: RTC can wake from S4
[    1.592440] rtc_cmos 00:04: rtc core: registered rtc_cmos as rtc0
[    1.592466] rtc0: alarms up to one month, 242 bytes nvram
[    1.598070] rtc_cmos 00:04: setting system clock to 2013-09-01
14:28:54 UTC (1378045734)

sjuk at obelix:~$ cat /proc/driver/rtc
rtc_time    : 14:50:45
rtc_date    : 2013-09-01
alrm_time    : 06:10:00
alrm_date    : 2013-09-02
alarm_IRQ    : no
alrm_pending    : no
update IRQ enabled    : no
periodic IRQ enabled    : no
periodic IRQ frequency    : 1024
max user IRQ frequency    : 64
24hr        : yes
periodic_IRQ    : no
update_IRQ    : no
HPET_emulated    : no
BCD        : yes
DST_enable    : no
periodic_freq    : 1024
batt_status    : okay

Disable hwclock updates
---------------------------------
On my system there is no need to disable the hwclock updates

Setwakeuptime (don't forget to make it executable)
sjuk at obelix:~$ cat /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh
#!/bin/sh
#
# set ACPI Wakeup time
# usage: setwakeup.sh seconds
#    seconds - number of seconds from epoch to UTC time (time_t time format)
#
# set UTCBIOS to true if bios is using UTC time
# set UTCBIOS to false if bios is using local time

UTCBIOS=true

if $UTCBIOS
then
     #utc bios - use supplied seconds
     SECS=$1
else
     #non utc bios - convert supplied seconds to seconds from
     #epoch to local time
     SECS=`date -u --date "\`date --date @$1 +%F" "%T\`" +%s`
fi

echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm       # clear alarm
echo $SECS > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm   # write the waketime

Sudo
-------
sjuk at obelix:~$ sudo cat /etc/sudoers.d/mythwelcome
Defaults:mythtv !requiretty
%mythtv ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/sh, /usr/bin/setwakeup.sh, /sbin/shutdown,
/usr/bin/mythshutdown

Backend (General > Shutdown/Wakeup Options)
Block shutdown before client connected: unchecked
Idle shutdown timeout (secs): 180
Max. wait for recording (min): 15
Startup before rec. (secs): 600
Wakeup time format: time_t
Command to set Wakeup Time:  sudo sh -c "/usr/bin/setwakeup.sh $time"
Server halt command: sudo shutdown -h now

When you have a question please post your settings corresponding to the
question.

Good Luck ;-)

Stefan