[mythtv-users] All clear QAMs gone in Portland, OR

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 20:33:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> I consider myself a cord cutter--in 2006, I dropped satellite (which I had
> for 2 years, before which I had cable), and am now using only OTA ATSC plus
> buying DVD/BluRay versions of or streaming with Amazon Instant/Netflix those
> cable-only shows I want to watch.  Doing so saves me a fortune compared to
> the cost of cable, plus I get the no-DRM benefit of OTA.  And all of this
> without torrenting/stealing any TV.

And yet, in a previous post, you said you are (likely) to again
subscribe to a MSO to get ESPN.   There are those in the
industry that would say the lesson to learn is content is king,
and to take the long view, and they will all come back into the
fold :-)

Yes, that was a cheap shot.  Sorry.  But it illustrates a
point.

In the end, the (self selected) people on this list are a very
small minority compared to the number of the sheeple
subscribing to Cable/Satellite who take what they are told
is best for them (you *need* 1000 channels of shopping).
If all of us (on the list) dropped US Cable/Satellite
subscriptions tomorrow, I would be surprised if it was a
statistically significant number greater than normal churn.
And how many could (legitimately) give up that content
and still have household harmony?  Michael clearly did
for quite some time, but he is probably in an even smaller
minority.

Gary