[mythtv-users] All clear QAMs gone in Portland, OR

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 31 20:06:47 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 03:59 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> I ... am now using only OTA ATSC plus buying DVD/BluRay versions of or
> streaming with Amazon Instant/Netflix those cable-only shows I want to
> watch.  Doing so saves me a fortune compared to the cost of cable

Which, BTW, is Eric's*** "giant pay-per-view experience"/a la carte TV
at the show level, rather than the channel level.

Mike

*** It's also what Google was attempting to do with their Google TV.
And the licensing/contracts--or lack thereof--with big media is what
prevented the per-show a la carte and made Google TV next to useless
because Google based the design concept around this "select any show and
get it, without any subscriptions" approach that they were prevented
from delivering.  That said, it /is/ possible today, but it requires a
bit more work on the consumer's part--and a *lot* more patience than
most viewers have.