[mythtv-users] Strange TV picture placement with MythTV

John Haller john.h.haller at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 05:13:51 UTC 2013

The TV picture is vertically misaligned when playing HD videos. When I play
an HD video, the picture is shifted down, with a black bar at the top.
Using the menu->video->manual zoom mode, by pressing down three times, it's
properly aligned. It's the right size at this point, as moving left or
right introduces the black bars, so I'm not missing any pixels or have an
incorrect alignment. A SD picture is definitely zoomed too much, as there
are pixels above below bottom of the screen, but is properly aligned at the
top.

Using setup->screen setup wizards, right after starting mythfront, it is
not properly aligned for 1920x1080, as, while the top left arrow is
correct, the bottom right arrow is off the screen, with a resolution of
1769x929. Exiting and reentering screen setup, the top and bottom arrows
are right at the edge for 1080. The TV always thinks it's in 1080 mode. I'm
not sure if this is related to my problem or not.

I only started having the HD problem after replacing my TV, but I'm not
sure it's the problem. I do have the TV set in dot by dot mode, which is
supposed to display what it is sent. The theme displays correctly in 1080
mode.

System info:
mythTV version: 26.0, branch fixes/0.26, library api 0.26.20130225-1
Theme: mythcenter-wide 1.7, but other themes have same problem
Nvdia video card, driver 319.32 with a patch for kernel compatibility
Kernel 3.10.0 gentoo
TV: Sharp lc60-le650u

Any suggestions? It's mostly just an annoyance having to change the
vertical alignment for everything I watch, but if I could fix it, that
would be great.