[mythtv-users] remote will not work after upgrading Fedora 17 system

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 00:22:51 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I upgraded my mythbox, first from fedora17 to 18 and now to 19 using fed
> up.  After the first upgrade, the remote stopped working properly.  I used
> a harmony with a pvr-350 receiver (RC5).
>
> The system is definitely recognizing keystrokes as verified by dmesg when
> I start the ir-kbd-i2c module in debug mode.  I have verified that the
> keymap I am loading is fine and running ir-keytable -r shows keystrokes.  I
> just no output when I run irw.  I have stopped and restarted lirc plenty of
> of times, I have tried different lirc.conf files from the lirc-remotes
> package.  I am just stumped here.
>
> As an aside, some of the keys appear to be recognized as keyboard
> keystrokes if I use different keymaps than the custom one I have created (I
> can verify this by opening a text editor and inputting text with the
> remote).  I would be fine just getting rid of lirc and using my harmony
> remote and receiver as a keyboard, but unsure how to do that.

I figured out what may be the problem but unsure how to fix it.  If I run
the following command as root (after stopping lirc and removing the lircd
lock file)
lircd --device=/dev/input/remote --driver=devinput
I can then restart myth and have lirc work perfectly.

I thought it was an issue with my lirc config file, but this is what that
file is:
[root at localhost ~]# more /etc/sysconfig/lirc
LIRC_DRIVER="devinput"
LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/remote"

So I can use the remote, but I can't just restart the computer and have it
work.  I need to run this command first.  I suppose I could not
automatically start lirc and then call it from a startup script in
rc.local, but it seems like I have my configuration done correctly, so I
don't know why this is happening.