[mythtv-users] Weekly recording

David Engel david at istwok.net
Sat Oct 26 16:16:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:29:27AM -0400, George Nassas wrote:
> On 2013-10-25, at 6:48 AM, Stephen Robertson wrote:
>
> > For example if there were multiple episodes of the same show on the same day/week which one would it record?   If there were multiple broadcasts of the same episode then surely the duplicate matching would catch that irrespective of the recording rule.  And if it didn't because the data to make that determination wasn't there then surely the "record one showing every day" operation is even more undefined.  Or at the very least much less intuitive from the description given to the user.
>
> I think you have to back to the OP, Robin, and recall that in this case there is no episode information, only a generic description. But what you do know for sure is, for example, the 5pm broadcast is a new episode and the 11pm and 9am next day ones are repeats of that 5pm one. I agree that when you have identified episodes it doesn’t make much sense to use a day/week cycle, I just know not to use the recording rules that way.

The no episode issue was the genesis for the FindDaily and FindWeekly
recording types.  It just so happened that FindOne was also developed
about the same time, so the concepts were merged with the FindDaily
and FindWeekly types also being marketed as a way to throttle
recordings.  Eg. record one 10-star movie per week, record one
favorite kids show per day, etc.

> It seems to me that it’s unhelpful or confusing to have once daily and once weekly as classes of recording rule. They’re really a kind of duplicate detection method since we know that for such and such title all showings from time T to T+24h or T+7d are identical. That situation comes up regularly and in 0.27 there isn’t an easy way to describe it to the scheduler.

It's not a common case for most users, so it was moved out of the
"easy" path to not confuse users who don't need it.

> In the meantime, if David is listening, it sounds like restoring the daily/weekly is just a matter of re-adding them to the appropriate combo box. Is that true? I can run a local patch to get a friend over a scheduling problem in the short term.

I am following along, but I have neither the time nor the inclination
to get involved in a long, drawn out discussion that isn't going to
change anything.  Suffice it to say nothing is probably going to
change this early in the 0.27 release.  Perhaps after there is much
more experience with the current configuration, some tweaking might be
considered.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:13:47AM -0700, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:29 AM, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:
> > In the meantime, if David is listening, it sounds like restoring the
> > daily/weekly is just a matter of re-adding them to the appropriate combo
> > box. Is that true? I can run a local patch to get a friend over a
> > scheduling problem in the short term.
>
> No, those options have now shifted to the "Filters" section. The "once
> daily" is now called "This time", and the "once weekly" is now called "This
> day and time" and according to the developers, it's more flexible with
> minor variations in schedule than the old schedule options were.

That is not correct.  The filters referenced replaced the TimeSlot and
WeekSlot recording types.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 09:08:21PM +1100, blind Pete wrote:
> Filters are good.  Now to make them better...
>
> Is there a way to adjust the start time (and day) of the cycle?

When creating a recording rule, go to the EPG and choose any program
that starts at the desired time/day and press MENU.  Then press
Recording Options and Custom Edit.  Finish creating the custom rule as
desired.  If the RecordDaily or RecordWeekly recording types are
chosen, the cycle will begin at that time/day.  There is currently no
way to change the cycle start after the rule has been created.

> There are three reasons for that.
>
> First, the user clicked on the wrong showing - having only
> discovered the show late in the week.
>
> Second, sometimes programs change time slot.
>
> Third, often EIT data moves around by a couple of minutes as
> preceding shows overrun, or run short, or I suspect, the
> powers that be are deliberately making it hard for us.

For cases when there is episode information, the This Time and This
Day and Time filters are fuzzy and will match programs starting within
10 minutes of the configured time.

> How do we talk a developer into adding a drop down box or a
> write in field to the filter screen for the start-of-time-window?

I'm not tyring to be crass, but the best way right now is to submit a
patch with the desired functionality.  I have many other things I'd
like to work on in my limited time than something that can already be
done, albeit heavy handedly by creating a new rule.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net