[mythtv-users] Weekly recording

Stephen Robertson stephengrobertson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 10:48:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:

> On 2013-10-02, at 12:03 AM, David Engel wrote:
>
> >> It seems that you can not create any new "Record one showing every
> >> week" rules, but any that are still in the database will still work,
> >> and if you open the rule, it does show the rule as being set to
> >> "Record one showing every week".  There is no filter option for
> >> "weekly".  So all the old rules are still working and recording only
> >> once a week, which is why no-one has noticed this before, but we are
> >> unable to create any new weekly rules.
> >
> > It is deliberate.  In 0.27, the record weekly (and daily) options are
> > not offered for normal recording rules.  This is to simplify things
> > for the common cases.  The options are still available for search and
> > manual recording rules.  In the OPs case, he'll probably need to
> > create a custom search rule.
>
> I just got around to trying this and am wondering how do you do handle the
> time? How does the scheduler know when the “first” showing is on a given
> day? I mean for both search and custom.
>
> Personally I would like to see the once daily and weekly return to the
> normal list. Even unsophisticated users understand what once a day means*
> so it’s hard to say who is being protected. And the scheduler is one of the
> marquee features of myth so making it more like crappy cable company PVRs
> is a step in the wrong direction. That’s my thought anyway.
>
> - George
>
> * = after begin hinted the showing they’re creating the rule on indicates
> the start of a day/week cycle
>
> I'm not saying I'm necessarily a "sophisticated" user but I have to say I
have never understood what the once a day/week was meant to achieve.  I'm
not saying it wasn't defined anywhere but

For example if there were multiple episodes of the same show on the same
day/week which one would it record?   If there were multiple broadcasts of
the same episode then surely the duplicate matching would catch that
irrespective of the recording rule.  And if it didn't because the data to
make that determination wasn't there then surely the "record one showing
every day" operation is even more undefined.  Or at the very least much
less intuitive from the description given to the user.

Stephen