[mythtv-users] Tiny frontend solution

PJR pjrobinson at metronet.co.uk
Fri Oct 25 09:04:01 UTC 2013

On 25/10/13 09:34, Erik Hjertén wrote:
> 2013-10-25 02:45, Jean-Yves Avenard skrev:
>> Hi
>>
>> So what's the go lately in regards to tiny all-in-one frontend like
>> the tiny acer ion2 that use to exist?
>>
>> something with a nvidia graphic card, a slot loading DVD or bluray
>> drive, and whatever processor (like atom dual core)
>>
>> like this one:
>> http://www.amazon.com/EPC-6568S-Nvidia-Embedded-Computer-Player/dp/B005F54X26
>>

>> but with optical drive?
>>
>> any suggestions are welcome
>>
> I'm running a Asus AT5IONT-I DELUXE
> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AT5IONTI_DELUXE/#specifications
>
> It's a Intel Atom D525 @ 1,8 GHz integrated Nvidia graphics. I put it
> in a Morex case:
> http://www.morex.com.tw/products/productdetail.php?fd_id=118 and it's
> running nicely without a fan. It's completely silent which was
> important for me. Some times in summer when watching full HD it's
> actually overheating, but that's only happened once or twice. The case
> also takes a slim DVD-player.
>
> It handles HD-material ok but PiP for example makes video and audio
> stutter. Also browsing the EPG guide while watching TV in Myth cuts
> audio for a sec.
>
> Myth (Mythbuntu actually) installed without any issues. After fiddling
> with settings in Myth and upgrading Nvidia driver it produces smooth
> and high quality video.
>
> It has now been running for a few years in a "production" environment,
> that is we have no other ways to record or watch TV at home. So it's
> as stable as it can get.
>
> If fan noise isn't an issue for you, maybe you'll be better of with a
> little bit of more performance.
>
> Good luck!
> /Erik

I'm running a Jetway JNC98-525 Fanless Dual Core 1.8GHz Atom ION2 under
test with the intention of it becoming a mythtv 'production' system. It
has a 128Gb SSD and a 2x1TB HDD zfs file system to store all myth
recordings. In general no problems with recording and playing back HD
TV. The system is housed in a 1u rack mount case with 2x fans, but
that's just because the case came with them. Since the system is not
located in a living area there is no issue with the (small amount of)
noise from the fans.  I'm using the Nvidia driver configured to use HD
playback profile under mythtv. Only major issue has been getting the
PCTV nanostick 290e to work and selecting the right set of DVB-T/T2
channels, but that's a different topic!