[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a partition structure

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 24 14:27:31 UTC 2013

On 10/23/2013 11:29 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 10/23/2013 11:02 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> And I am not sure that the system would be recoverable.
>
> It would be no different from booting up with a read-only file system.
> Usability would vary from distro to distro.  At the very least, you
> could make it into single-user mode.

As you say, 'would vary from distro to distro'. It would not be able to
write to /var, and on fedora, at least, that locks up all the "frontend"
of the system, X etc.  Any console windows are frozen.

I have been able to ssh into the system in that state, but I have my
doubts that it would boot to an equivalent level from scratch.

Another test point to be checked.

As Jerry Pournelle used to write: "I do this stuff so you don't have to".

And as to 'the system would be recoverable' I was thinking of the mysql
databases and the 'ibdata' files being crunched so as to be
unrecoverable, not the entire installation. Clearly the installation
could be re-set, but whether the re-set state is *exactly* as it was
before the fillup, is the question.

RGN

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury