[mythtv-users] frontend responsiveness on iscsi

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Oct 23 18:55:45 UTC 2013

I am running a diskless frontend via iSCSI (added GPXE to boot rom)
and it has served me well for well over a year.

My only complaint is that things like artwork and channel icons seem
to take much (.25 - .5 sec) longer to load than they do on my
MBE/FE... its tolerable, but annoying because I know how fast it
could/should be.  I am not sure it's iSCSI necessarily, it may just be
the difference between a f dedicated frontend and a BE/FE combo.

I may just put the frontend on a USB stick, but before I did that, I
was wondering if there is any other way to make things respond a bit
faster.  Prehaps moving a cache to a ramdisk (I could spare 500 MB of
ram for it), or adjusting a setting to use memory instead of disk
cache, or something like that.

At some point I'll move that frontend over to a USB stick, or a cheap
SSD.  It's my primary use frontend, and it needs to be silent (which
is why I went diskless to begin with).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.