[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a partition structure

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Oct 23 15:02:21 UTC 2013

On 10/22/2013 08:58 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Le mardi 22 octobre 2013, R. G. Newbury a écrit :
>

>     THAT is a recipe for disaster. If you have one process go run-away
>     and spam-fill your /var/log/messages or /var/lib/mysql logging
>     folders you will NOT be able to recover. And as RW pointed out, that
>     will also destroy your mysql database(s). I'm not  even sure that
>     there is any way to recover from that sort of run-away without a
>     complete re-install. All for 'an absolute minimum of partitions'.
>

> Sure; 20 years ago that was the recommended approach...
>
> Now with huge disks (even a 20GB SSD is huge by comparison to what fit
> was back in the days) having a dedicated /var partition is just a plain
> pain in the a***. Because that one will run out of space sooner or later.
> Same with /tmp
> And that is a nightmare to deal with...
>

> Not even with FreeBSD do I bother to create that many partitions. Just
> one big /
>
> That's how most if not all Linux distribution installers do it too these
> days...
>
> A file system full won't destroy your database to a point that it's
> unrecoverable...

I would REALLY like to see that tested. And I might do it myself. I have
some hardware changes planned here at the office and I could re-dedicate
one box to use for testing for a while. Take it home and set it up as a
full mythbox. And try to break it.

I think it would fall down badly. If it were recording and comm-flagging
when it ran out of space, I think the database would be crushed. And I
am not sure that the system would be recoverable. Possibly, but booting
with a rescue/live-cd boot, and some judicious deletion. But the
database condition is the diamond test.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury