[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a partition structure

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Oct 22 00:30:42 UTC 2013

On 10/21/2013 04:33 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
>> Given how prices have come down you might also consider getting a third
>> small drive (40 - 60G possibly an SSD) and using that for the OS.
>
> Definitely.  For ~$80 you can get a 120GB SSD these days.  Not a
> screaming fast SSD, but it'll beat the pants of any traditional HD for
> random I/O.
>
>> For video, xfs seems to be the correct choicel It handles very large files
>> better than anything else,
>
> For most mythtv systems, the choice of filesystem isn't likely to be a
> significant factor in actual perceived performance.

2 aspects are involved. The usual chunk of space allocated on a hard
drive is 4 or 8k. xfs lets you allocate large contiguous chunks of disk
space which reduces head movement. Secondly, xfs is really fast at
deleting files.
ext4 is way slow at deleting large files.

>> As to partitioning, I have partitions for '/', /home, /usr/local, and /var.
>
> My approach is to have the absolute minimum number of partitions.  I
> usually just have /, /boot (tiny), and swap.  I would get an SSD and
> set these up on there,

THAT is a recipe for disaster. If you have one process go run-away and
spam-fill your /var/log/messages or /var/lib/mysql logging folders you
will NOT be able to recover. And as RW pointed out, that will also
destroy your mysql database(s). I'm not  even sure that there is any way
to recover from that sort of run-away without a complete re-install. All
for 'an absolute minimum of partitions'.

>then make a /u/mythtv1 and /u/mythtv2, mount
> the 500GB drives there, and set them up in a storage group.

You don't actually need to set up a 'storage group' a-la-a LVM. Myth
will be quite happy to use them as mount points, and balance the usage.

Geoff