[mythtv-users] Suggestions for a partition structure

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Oct 21 19:05:47 UTC 2013

On 10/21/2013 01:28 PM, Chris Lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am about to completely format and reinstall my combine BE/FE.
>
> It has 2x 500GB discs.
>
> So what would you do and why?  I was thinking of a partition for the
> mythbuntu install and then a partition for recordings on the main disc.
>
> and the second disc just having one partition and using it for
> recordings/videos etc

Given how prices have come down you might also consider getting a third
small drive (40 - 60G possibly an SSD) and using that for the OS. Leave
the 2 big drives for video.

For video, xfs seems to be the correct choicel It handles very large
files better than anything else, and can be told to allocate space in
very large chunks (I use 500M as the allocation size.
For the OS, you need do deal ransdomly with lots of small files. ext4
works for me.

As to partitioning, I have partitions for '/', /home, /usr/local, and
/var. /var/lib/mysql and /var/www/html both actually symlink into /home
as /var cannot be guaranteed to remain across an install. I separate
/var to avoid the problem of a runaway process filling the partition. If
that partition is / then there is no way to recover. If /var is fill up
and the system locks up, you can ssh into the box and delete things in
/var. (An ounce of prevention etc...).

Geoff--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury