[mythtv-users] Playing encrypted DVD broken in 0.27?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 21 17:07:50 UTC 2013

On 10/19/2013 08:42 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> I have no problem playing real encrypted DVDs in MythTV 0.27 (on Ubuntu
> 12.04), from the DVD drive. So at some level mythtv 0.27 must be working
> with CSS.

MythTV knows nothing of CSS, and MythTV can only play unencrypted video.

MythTV uses libdvdread for playing DVDs, and libdvdread has hooks in it
that will cause it to use libdvdcss to decrypt DVDs before the video
gets to MythTV, if libdvdcss is installed and compatible with your
libdvdread version.

>   I did install the CSS libs a long time ago as follows
> sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
> sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
> and I did set the DVD region code.

So if you're getting messages that MythTV can't play the video because
it's encrypted, it's because there's a problem with the underlying
libraries that means they're not decrypting the data.  I can't tell you
whether the problem is due to installation problems, configuration
problems, or compatibility problems.

Mike