[mythtv-users] Upgraded to Ubuntu 13.10 --> Mythweb down

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 21:45:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Rick <rick at laity.ca> wrote:
> On 20/10/2013 5:23 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> Sounds like you need to work with your distro packager to build
>> correct distro specific files (MythTV configurations are often "generic",
>> which means it may work on all, some, or no specific distro, and
>> while there are packaging scripts for some distros, the same applies).
>  A patch should certainly make it into
> the next iteration of mythweb as well, not languish in some dark hole
> somewhere through a couple of generations.

I do not think you understood what I was trying to say.
Some MythTV configs are "generic".  They certainly
work for some, and that they may not work for the latest
Ubuntu really is a Ubuntu specific issue (well, specifically
Apache 2.4 made the options changes).  A generic
configuration will not work everywhere.  Should MythTV
really break other distros because Ubuntu has changed?

Certainly there will be a time when Apache 2.4 is the
default everywhere (and there are reasons that should
be), but that is not today.

People who pull from git have taken on additional
responsibility to know how things really work since
not all the generic configs are optimal, or operational.
That goes beyond just MythWeb.  If one does not
want to learn "all those things", one is usually better
using a distro specific packaged solution and accept
their decisions.  Then that responsibility of learning
distro specific issues moves to someone else.  Choose
your poison, and build up a tolerance to that poison.

btw, I am wondering if when you read the mythweb
instructions you skipped the step that said Apache 2.2?
That is the only way I can imagine that you did not
expect to have to either install Apache 2.2, or not
expected to have to actually review the configuration.

Gary