[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR questions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 18 19:21:26 UTC 2013

On 10/18/2013 02:52 PM, jedi wrote:
>      Anyone that cares can make it so. It's not some impossible insurmountable
> problem. It is certainly far easier than digging into someone else's C++ code
> and trying to retrofit this sort of thing because of defeatest paralysis on the
> part of those that could make simple work of it.

Oh, and FWIW, this makes it sound like a developer on the project can
just throw something together and push it to git in a few minutes.  It's
important to note that any changes to MythTV--regardless of how well the
person doing the changes knows the existing code--take quite a bit of
time.  Even running a simple "smoke test" takes many, many minutes, just
to get the apparatus in place for testing (and that's not even taking
into account all the effort of planning and developing the code, and all
the supporting code--let alone a proper test that all boundary
conditions are handled correctly).

Any "defeatest paralysis" you may think exists in the project is
actually just a lack of time available to do the work.  No one has ever
said we can't store something to help users, but we are saying we will
only allow it to be done properly in a way that doesn't tend to make
untrue assurances to users--even those users who don't know as much
about the kernel/device handling as you do.  (And I mean that
sincerely--your knowledge of GNU/Linux is much greater than many other
users' knowledge, so it's important to think of it from a, "What if I
didn't know what I know?" perspective.)

Mike