[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR questions

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Oct 18 18:52:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:18:56AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/13/2013 02:41 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> >From: "David Engel"
> >>The hostility in the past has been because the suggestions were to
> >>save cardid/inputid. Those values can change when tuners are added,
> >>removed or renumbered making them less useful. The input displaay
> >>names can be more descriptive, so using them can solve the tuner
> >>change problem. Of course, it's still up to the user to add
> >>sufficiently descriptive names.
> >And that's patently ridiculous: how often are tuners *actually* changed
> >on production machines?  Every 3 or 4 years?
>
> Every boot on some machines (like mine)--depending on which tuner
> gets which number from the kernel.  I have no need for any udev or
> other rules to lock a physical card to a specific kernel number
> because every single one of my cards is "identical" (meaning they're
> all DVB-API cards that are attached to the same Video
> Source)--despite being 5 distinct physical cards from 2
> manufacturers with 3 models of card.
>
> In other words, the problem isn't the user
> changing/swapping/removing tuner hardware, but that the only
> identifier we have in MythTV is /not/ necessarily associated with
> any static value that's useful over time.  I.e. MythTV's numbers

    Anyone that cares can make it so. It's not some impossible insurmountable
problem. It is certainly far easier than digging into someone else's C++ code
and trying to retrofit this sort of thing because of defeatest paralysis on the
part of those that could make simple work of it.

> don't necessarily equate to the same physical hardware on every run
> of MythTV.
>
> Plus--and far more importantly--users shouldn't have to do direct
> database queries to figure out what inputid matches up with what
> physical input, so if /any/ code exposes (internal) database ID
> numbers, that code is wrong (and, yes, I know there is code in

    The main status pages for the backends have always done this.

[deletia]