[mythtv-users] Moving recordings and recording history to new backend?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 18 16:11:09 UTC 2013

On 10/11/2013 05:45 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Tom Harris wrote:
>
>> My old backend server has been around for quite a few years, and has
>> developed some oddities..   I am building a new system in parallel and
>> starting from a clean MythBuntu install.   I don't want to pull any of the
>> system oddities over to the new backend, so I am not doing a full DB
>> export/import.
>>
>> But, what I would like to do is to move my unwatched recordings over to
>> the new backend.   I've been unable to find any method for doing that.
>>   I've only found warnings recommending a complete DB import.
>>
>> I would also like to pull over the record programs I've already recorded
>> on my old backend, so I'm not inundated with episodes of series that I've
>> already watched.  This seems like a relatively straightforward table
>> export/import.  But, again I've only seen warnings against partial imports.
>>
>> These seem like fairly common requirements..  Is there some way to
>> accomplish them which I have not found in searches?
>>
> You're looking for a Partial Restore. See here (along with all its
> caveats):
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup

FWIW, the oddities are almost definitely*** not due to DB data
(including MythTV configuration, which is stored in the DB).  So, a
partial restore isn't likely to fix anything (and will almost definitely
have the same effect as doing a full restore--with the exception that a
full restore won't allow you to waste hours of your life reconfiguring
everything and trying to make everything work, again, if wasting time is
actually part of your goal ;).

Of course, without some explanation of what the oddities are, we can't
help you figure them out.

Mike

*** Unless, of course, you (or some script or ...) have been changing
things (data or schema definition) in the database directly, rather than
using MythTV applications to do things, and managed to corrupt something.