[mythtv-users] 2 video sources for hdpvr

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 18 13:34:16 UTC 2013

On 10/14/2013 03:46 PM, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 13.10.2013 03:05, Raymond Wagner wrote:

>>> I have no idea how Schedules Direct works, but if it downloads an
>>> XMLTV file, then it would be possible to use a grabber to create
>>> another XMLTV file and then write a script to extract bits from it and
>>> insert them into the other XMLTV file using the XMLTV tools or Python.
>>> For a long while here in New Zealand we had the TV1 channel
>>> broadcasting BBC World overnight, and our XMLTV grabber script scraped
>>> BBC World web page and merged that data into the grabbed XMLTV
>>> wherever it found "BBC World".
>>
>> That's the only possible way to do what you want. Use the Schedules
>> Direct XMLTV grabber to pull data to a file, and then write your own
>> pseudo-grabber to merge the two.
>
> or create a proper grabber for the 700s channels and use
> tv_grab_combiner.
>
> a proper grabber can be very simple, see e.g.
> http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xmltv/xmltv/grab/fr_kazer/tv_grab_fr_kazer?view=markup

This is the best way to merge data from 2 XMLTV sources.  However, using
XMLTV format, you will lose some information that's only available when
using Schedules Direct.  So in this one case (where you have a proper SD
lineup for the majority of your channels), I recommend you don't do any
merging.

Instead, run a "normal" mythfilldatabase run (with your Video Source
grabber set to Schedules Direct and configured for your lineup) to get
your main channels (ideally using --dd-grab-all , see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/449426#449426 and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/449416#449416 for
details about --dd-grab-all ).  Then just run mythfilldatabase --file
(which ignores the grabber details configured for the Video Source)
against the same Video Source to fill in the 700/sports channel data.

The key to making it work automatically is setting up your "Guide data
program" as a script that does the above.  If you have multiple Video
Sources, you may need to write some logic into the script to decide when
to do what, but otherwise, it would be as simple as making a 2-line
script that calls mythfilldatabase the 2 times.  Just make sure you
always run the 2 mythfilldatabase commands together so you don't lose
any information for some of the channels.

Mike