[mythtv-users] diagnosing HDHome Run Prime zero byte recordings

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Thu Oct 17 23:04:55 UTC 2013

On 10/17/2013 8:51 AM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:

> On 10/17/13 7:51 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 5:09 AM, Mike Perkins
>> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>  wrote:
>>> This invariably means that the broadcaster has changed something being sent
>>> out such that the list of channels which you originally scanned no longer
>>> matches what is being transmitted.
>> [..]
>>> The only option is to rescan again, I'm afraid.
>> But shouldn't the Prime do that automatically periodically?  Why
>> doesn't a STB have the same problem?  If the only option is a rescan,
>> why does rebooting fix it?  (instantly, I presume?)
>>
>> Eric
>>
> Sorry, got interrupted when replying, so I forgot to ask a question.
> What firmware version is running on your HDHR Prime?
> I'm on 20130528.

Yep, thats the version I'm running.

Something that "may" be interesting is that periodically in the logs
since I rebooted the HDHRP I see this:

20131017-20:44:54 CableCARD: copy_protection/cp_valid_cnf timeout error (cchost_copy_protection:597)
20131017-20:44:54 CableCARD: technical error 53 (cchost_copy_protection:597)
20131017-20:44:54 CableCARD: message: A technical problem is preventing you from receiving all the cable services at this time. Please call your cable operator and report error code 161-53 to have this problem resolved.
20131017-20:44:54 CableCARD: M-CARD reset
20131017-20:44:58 CableCARD: Motorola card (0000:0625)
20131017-20:44:58 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication in progress
20131017-20:44:58 CableCARD: authentication status: authentication success, activation success

These seem to happen at fairly random intervals, never falling on a typical time start/stop of recording. I also see  recordings working with this message
20131017-22:00:00 CableCARD: Tuner0: vchannel 1004 (735MHz-3) access = subscribed

<OT>
I'm new to the whole HD world or for that matter Video standards so other than knowing that QAM is something to do with Video , I dont have a clue what a "PAT" is, or what is used for copy protection or anything else that goes along with nerd knobs.
(No offense meant by Nerd Knobs.  I tweak them on Cisco gear all the time and I'm proud)

I would argue that as a Myth user I shouldn't "have" to know though.  I'm interested and want to learn, but not because I need to know it to make my system work.
I feel like the Grandma getting a computer for the first time when people start throwing video standards around. Its overwhelming and I dont know where to even start.

Hence my complete lack of even knowing how to begin.  I avoided moving from the PVR for the longest time because I at least understood the pieces, or how to fix it.
It wasn't until a friend started talking about his HDHRP and how it was being used and costs less that I realized I needed to get on the boat.
anyone remember the first time they saw ./configure && make && make install?  I couldn't even figure out how to do a "DIR" on linux or delete a file and you want me to type what????

</OT>