[mythtv-users] Can't simultaneously record two programs with 3 (or 4) available tuners v2

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Oct 17 18:11:03 UTC 2013

On 10/16/2013 05:09 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 10/16/2013 03:57 PM, Leif Pihl wrote:
>> Got the EXACT SAME results with the sudu part in front this time, i.e.:
>>     sudo echo options saa7164 adapter_nr=6,7 >
>> /etc/modprobe.d/hvr2250.conf
>
> Personally, I'd just edit the file and be done with it, but,
> this works on my box:
>
>      echo "options saa7164 adapter_nr=6,7" | sudo tee -a
> /etc/modprobe.d/hvr2250.conf
>
> The -a in case you've already got the file and the above won't
> overwrite it. I'd see if it's there 1st.

Coming in very late to this, but there are a couple of points to be checked:

FIRSTLY:
I am presuming you have the firmware in /lib/firmware
(NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw or such)

SECONDLY
I have an HVR2250. On my mythbox using Fedora, the hardware reasonably
consistently fails to load the modules in the correct order due to some
race condition/initialization period mixup.

Unless lsmod and/or dmesg show that the modules are loaded in the
following order, all bets are off!
tda18217
s5h1411
saa7164.
And even then, mythtv reports that it cannot probe the hardware (in
mythtv-setup)

Add the following to your rc.local (or other startup script):

# backend must be stopped for modprobes to work
/usr/bin/systemctl stop mythbackend.service
# or /etc/init.d/service mythbackend stop
# just to be sure
killall mythlogserver
killall mythbackend

# Require the following o be able to install in the correct order
# Cannot yank modules out of order, must yank 'top' module first
# Need ring-around to work around failed attempts

modprobe -r tda18271
modprobe -r s5h1411
modprobe -r saa7164
modprobe -r s5h1411
modprobe -r tda18271
modprobe -r s5h1411

echo "  Ignore FATAL error messages outputted above if next lines are empty"
lsmod | grep tad18271
lsmod | grep s5h1411
lsmod | grep saa7164
echo "  No output means all of the modules were properly unloaded"
modprobe  tda18271
modprobe  s5h1411
modprobe  saa7164
echo "  Modules re-loaded in proper order"

# Restart the mythbackend service now

NOTE: You HAVE to do this so that digital side and analog side parts of
the tuner(s) will work. The SAA7164 module does the analog stuff.

At this point, you should see /dev/dvb/adapterN  entries AND /dev/videoN
entries: total 2 of each.

Also do a 'dmesg | grep 'Initialized' and 'dmesg | grep 'registered'
which should show you some good news.

This thread has meandered a lot and it is a little unclear to me what
you are attempting. I *think* you have the 2250 connected to a cable
feed which is a Comcast Basic Service feed which *may* (or may not) go
through a DTA between the wall and the mythbox.

How you handle this is quite different depending on whether your coax
input is digital, to a DTA, or analog direct to the 2250. Note that
scanning does not work for analog. Use a 'Cable' lineup on Schedules
Direct. For a DTA passthrough setup, use a Cable-Digital lineup. ( I
think this is what you have). Rather than scanning, use the Download the
Lineup option on 'Connections' page.

HTH

Geoff

              R. Geoffrey Newbury