[mythtv-users] diagnosing HDHome Run Prime zero byte recordings

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 16:58:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And without instrumentation, how do you know it "just works"?
>
> If there's a problem without any observable symptom, is there really a problem?

Are we arguing the "If one does not do the time, there was no crime"?

If you have instrumentation, you can observe any problems.
I do understand some believe technology is magic (one of
Clark's 3 laws).  But it is not.

> True, but seriously, what fraction of home users are doing that sort
> of stuff?

This list is a self selected group that likes the technology
hobby which is MythTV (and usally that includes Linux).
They are not your typical home user.  Your typical home
user would pay the $20+/month for the MSO STB.  The
MythTV user is much more likely to have a more complex
home network of systems.

> At what point can you honestly recommend this kind of
> hardware on a general mailing list?

I would recommend it on any list that I participate on
when it is appropriate, and necessary.  Obigatory
xkde ref:  http://xkcd.com/386/

Gary