[mythtv-users] Moving from local disk to NFS for recordings

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 21:28:56 UTC 2013

I have a virtualised MythBackend 0.26 with recordings stored on two "local"
disks (i.e. disks installed in the vmWare ESXi hypervisor machine). I want
to change this setup so that recordings are stored on NFS. I have my NFS
server already configured (except it doesn't yet have the disks as they're
already in use by MythTV) but I'm not sure how to go about making the
switch.

My storage groups are currently:
/mnt/xvdb1/recordings
/mnt/xvdc1/recordings

My plan is as follows:

- Remove /mnt/xvdb1/recordings from the list of storage groups in
mythtv-setup

- Move everything on disk 1 (/mnt/xvdb1/recordings) to temporary storage on
a USB disk

- Install disk 1 into the hypervisor, mount it on my NFS machine and copy
the files back from the USB disk.

- Repeat for disk 2 (/mnt/xvdc1/recordings)

- Recreate the storage groups to point to my new NFS shares.

- Finished!

Is this the right way to approach this? Any better options? Anything I've
missed? The main aim is to migrate without losing any recordings.