[mythtv-users] disabling notifications

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Thu Oct 10 02:51:43 UTC 2013

Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote on Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 01:08:14PM +1100:
> On 10 October 2013 12:22, Joey Morris <rjmorris.list at zoho.com> wrote:
> > That's a good point. I didn't consider the possibility that this is unintended
> > behavior. The notification is created in a function named
> > HideConnectionFailurePopup, which doesn't seem to correspond with what the
> > notification does, so maybe you're right that it's a bug.
>
> personally I like the notification. It's non intrusive (in my opinion)
> and let me know right away if there's a potential problem or not. It
> doesn't get in the way of any use of myth (you can still can navigate
> in the app, dismiss if you really don't like it) and is only displayed
> for 5s...

We'll just have to disagree about its intrusiveness.

> Having said that, that notification should only appear of an error has
> been shown before...
>
> It could very well be that there's actually a failure to connect to
> the backend when you just restarted the frontend. The "success"
> notification is displayed in the same spot. So if the failure occurs,
> followed by immediately a success to connect; then all you'll see is
> the success one.

As the system is waking from sleep, it's possible that Myth is brought back up
before the network is, which would cause the behavior you're describing. Do
these notifications replace anything that happened in 0.26? In 0.26, I would
occasionally get a dialog box saying the backend couldn't be found, but that
only happened when the backend really was down. It never happened when waking
the system from sleep.