[mythtv-users] Can mythtv (or mplayer/xine through mythtv) upmix 5.1 sound in 6.1 or 7.1?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Oct 10 02:19:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-10 at 12:32 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 10 October 2013 08:17, John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2013-10-05 at 19:09 -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> >
> >> Just 6.1.  I've seen a lot of 5.1, 7.1, and 7.2 receivers, but I don't
> >> recall ever seeing a 6.1 one.
> >
> > I just retired one.  A Sony that did 6.1 so you could play DTS encoded
> > DVD content.  Which it did flawlessly.... what it wouldn't do was play
> > DolbyDigital from a BluRay due to the increased bitrate over DVD and
> > Digital TV.  Thus retired.  But I got about a decade out of it.
>
> all bluray are supposed to have a DTS and AC3 (5.1) compatible stream.
> It should still work

That is exactly what the Sony tech support guy said.  Which left my
problem unresolved so I did my own research and found out Sony jacked
the bitrate for DolbyDigital to 640kbps for the BD spec.  No DVD or DTV
stream is encoded at such a high rate, 480kbps being the highest.  The
amp would play any DVD I threw at it, played from the new Sony BD or the
old Panasonic DVD.  It would play any BD with a DTS track but if it had
a Dolby audio track it would breakup any time the soundtrack became
'active.'  I could watch the onscreen bitrate indicator and see that
when it spiked up the audio would break up.  Turning off all digital
signal processing helped a little but wouldn't cure it.   Select an
alternate audio stream where they didn't bother remastering the DVD
stream and it was fine.  So it was time to replace it or give up on BD.