[mythtv-users] 0.27 and AirPlay

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 01:19:16 UTC 2013

On 10 October 2013 05:16, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> You don't need to snark that you "can't be bothered anymore"--I didn't hold
> a gun to your head and say that you couldn't go to bed until this was fixed.
> If you haven't noticed, I've put a fair amount of time into trying to puzzle
> out why this feature isn't working for me, too.  The 0.27 Release Notes
> highlight "AirPlay photo sharing and AirTunes visual playback" as "Key New
> Features".  Is it impertinent of me to try to determine why they're not
> working for me?  The usual rule of thumb is that, at most, 1 out of 10
> people with a particular problem will bother to report it.  At least 3 of us
> have had a less-than-perfect experience with AirPlay.  Do you want to hear
> about problems or drive the ratio to 0 of 10?

sorry, tiredness and can't get things to work is always a bad mix
In those times, nothing annoys me more than asking for something and
getting something on purpose. I'm only trying to help, so withholding
stuff won't get you anywhere.

> Nonetheless, I do apologize as I mistook the IPv6 address for a MAC address.
> I have no idea where IPv6 is coming from; I didn't think my router had any
> IPv6 capability.
>
> In place of each <MAC address> above, substitute fe80:216:cbff:feab:7c39 .

that's a link-local address... You find that's what iTunes on
mac/windows will attempt to use, I find that iPhones use IPv4...
All devices that are IPv6 ready will define a link-local address. And
that's where it's imperative to make sure in mythtv-setup that the
listen on all link-local address.

Why it doesn't show.. I don't know.
This is a Bonjour/Avahi/ZeroConf issue.

On my network, I've found that the iPhone doesn't reliably (more like
1 in 10 times it won't be seen) see the AirPlay video (and photo)
service...
The weird thing is that starting an Apple TV on the network will
usually make my iMac frontend suddenly show up.
The linux machine shows up almost every single time.

Sometimes, playing with the avahi-public-service tool , cause other
frontend to suddenly be seen by the iPhone.
Using the Bonjour Browser, I copied the data the Apple TV was
producing via Bonjour. I mean *identical* data. The first time, the
iphone saw the airplay device, and in the 2nd attempt it didn't...

For what it's worth. I get the same experience with XBMC. It is just
not seen by my iphone, but is seen by my iPad and iTunes on my mac.

What magic trick there is for the iPhone to always see the ATV; I don't know....

> You didn't mention AirTunes in your previous email so I wasn't sure if you
> expected to see different entries there or not.  The Myth AirTunes entry has
> the same IP addresses (both v4 and v6) as for the Myth AirPlay entry but on
> port 5000.  The Marantz is at 192.168.2.254:1029.  The Marantz has no IPv6
> address listed.  Do you really need the rest of the (extensive) AirTunes
> info?

It's not that I was commenting on, you have two   192.168.2.222:5100
address in the bonjour entry you posted.
That just can't be. That tells me you manually edited the information
and modified the IP address for whatever reason.

> Now, in the category of "what the H#ll?!?", Videos that would not play
> yesterday now play with audio and video.  Photo AirPlay still doesn't.  I
> have changed NO network settings, phone settings or Myth settings.

if you the iPhone let you play videos, then you can output photos.
It's the same service....

If I were you, I would delete the ~/mythtv/themes directory, and
restart and re-install a theme.

Now to my analysis of the problem:

- What the iPhone shows has nothing to do with which service is
actually running. It's only related to the bonjour information being
broadcast. So the problem isn't in myth per say but in the zeroconf
(usually avahi) not doing its job.

- All of this shows me that there's a fundamental flaw in myth and the
way you can configure which IP address to listen on. You can only
select one in mythtv-setup. When you advertise a service with
bonnjour/zeroconf, you can't filter which IP addresses you are using;
it advertise all IP addresses.
As myth only listen on *ONE* IP; you can never be certain if the
iOS/iTunes device will actually be able to communicate.
On my linux box for example, I have set an IPv6 from my /48 block.
Yet, there are over 5 IPv6 automatically setup. They are all marked as
deprecated so they won't be use. But bonjour advertise them.
You can't know for sure which IP address the iPhone will attempt to
use (after all, all those IPs are valid).

So either I have to find a way to limit which IP addresses are
published by bonjour, or remove that silly restriction of having myth
only ever listen to one IP address at a time only: that's just trying
to be too smart for its own good. The logic is flawed to start with.
But I've had disagreement on this topic with other dev for a while.

None of this would explain why the iPhone isn't showing the device though...

So to proceed, either join IRC because real-time exchange is better
for this type of troubleshooting. Or post the following information.

start mythfrontend with -v playback --loglevel=debug, and post the
*entire*, *unmodified* output (no one can do anything useful with any
of your local IP, link-local or mac addresses).
then post the entire content as retrieved by Bonjour Browser of the
_airplay._tcp. and _raop._tcp. service...

JY