[mythtv-users] Reactivate HDMI in the frontend

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Tue Oct 8 06:20:45 UTC 2013

On 10/7/2013 8:35 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a little problem with my TV and mythtv frontend.
>
> If I switch the input of my TV, sometimes it not display the frontend
> and I must restart the frontend with the correct HDMI input to get it
> working.
>
> Is there a command to re-activate the HDMI to show the frontend
> display in the TV?
>
> I am using Nvidia ION with nvidia 304.88 drivers.
>
> Regards.

I think you need to do some troubleshooting before you muck with your xorg.conf file. Once you know why you can't see the frontend when you switch TV inputs, you'll be on the path to a solution. Two commands that can help figure out what's going on are:
xset - to figure out if it's a screen saver and/or DPMS (power management) problem
xrandr - to figure out if the computer thinks the TV is connected to the HDMI output

Be sure to export the DISPLAY environment variable in order to use these commands from a remote shell connection. I always put this line in my .profile:
[ "$DISPLAY" = "" ] && export DISPLAY=:0
This will set the variable if it isn't already set.

FMI: "man xset" and "man xrandr". I also suggest googling xrandr to find more examples than you'll find in its man page.

HTH,
Helen